Thursday 15 October 2009

Vegan MOFO Post #9: In celebration of Pancakes!

Pancakes are one of the foods I thought I would really really miss when I went vegan. I didn't make them all that much, but my mum would cook them whenever I went home, and I felt sort of bereft when I gave them up in pursuit of veganizing. How wrong I was.

I was very excited when I found my first vegan pancake recipe. Now, I am not the kind of person to name names, so I will not be disclosing the name of the recipe book concerned here, but the pancakes were truly awful. I thought it was my fault, so I tried to make them again and again, without success. It was just a bad recipe.

Months went by. I still had not found an edible vegan pancake. Very sad.

Then my flatmate bought me VWAV for christmas. I have tried other recipes since that have been much better than that first pancake tragedy, but none compare to the VWAV pancakes. They are MONUMENTALLY AMAZING. No exaggeration.

Now, I make pancakes regularly, and I always use this recipe. Today was no exception.


I didn't want loads of pancakes, just a reasonable luncheon amount, so I made the batter in a teacup rather than a jug. Here is the mixture. I had no granulated sugar, so I used icing sugar instead, and just so you aren't in complete suspense, it worked perfectly. VWAV recipes are on the whole very very robust, which I appreciate because I hate measuring stuff.


Here is pancake numero uno right after I poured it into the pan. I love watching the bubbles come to the top of the pancake, it's mystical. Oh, I learned the hard way: never, ever, ever use those lo-cal sprays to fry pancakes on. Sure disaster. These I fried with lashings of Vitalite.

This is pancake numero uno shortly after being flipped. I flip pancakes with a fishslice rather than the jazzy way cuz I am a wuss.

And here is pancake numero uno covered in vitalite and agave nectar, waiting to be eaten. Note that I do not have time to mess about with forks, not when there are pancakes involved.
Pancake number two was d-formed beyond recognition and went from pan to digestive tract in about two seconds so it got no photo.


Pancake number three was hideously ugly too, but it tasted the best.
They were real real real good.




No comments: