This is what I made for lunch today, it was fantastic. I was really pleased with how the potato came out, and the scones were brilliant!
Potato and Green Bean Creamy Mustard Bake
4 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
400 ml soy milk
4 big potatoes
handful of green beans
salt to taste
- chop the potatoes into cubes, and boil for 15-20 minutes.
- heat the oven to 200C
- make a roux - melt the butter in a saucepan and stir the flour in.
- gradually add in the soya milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- add the mustard and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes or so.
- drain the potatoes and green beans, then put into a casserole dish. Pour over the sauce.
- put in the oven, on a low shelf, and cook for 12-15 minutes.
The scones involved nutritional yeast (finally got hold of some - very exciting!) and garlic powder, and were very nice.
Monday, 23 March 2009
Pictured here - ginger roasted winter vegetables, sugar snap peas, hummus, and home made pickle. This was delicious, and easy to make. My pickle came out a strange purple colour, because I used red onions instead of normal ones.
Well, I guess that shows how cool I am! This was the trial run for the cake and icing. It's the same recipe as for my birthday cake, from 'Easy Vegan Cooking'. I made a few minor changes to the final cake, but this was really good. On the top are 'Whizzers', which are a vegan chocolate filled sugar bean sweet.