I made up another batch of the super cheap stew when the other lot was finished. And to make it extra special I made dumplings!
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
big knob of sunflower butter
cold water as required
- mix flour and baking powder and salt and seasoning in a bowl
- mix in the butter with a fork until it's crumbly
- gradually add in water (do this REALLY SLOWLY - a tablespoon at a time at most) until you have a non-sticky dough. If it goes sticky, add more flour until it's normal again
- knead lightly and roll into firm balls
- put into the stew
- let them bubble away for 10 minutes or so
They were really really tasty. The first lot I made were a bit too salty, but still edible. The second lot were great!